Referrals and Sponsorships are a big part of a successful loyalty program. Therefore, WooRewards offers a lot of possibilities for it. In this documentation, you’ll learn how to use this feature to its full extent.
- Referral & Sponsorship Principle
- Sponsorship & Referrals Settings
- Reward the Sponsor
- Reward the Sponsored
- Email, Widgets and Shortcodes
1 – Referral & Sponsorship Principle
Referrals and sponsorships are a good way to grow your number of customers. However, you should only use them in specific cases. Customers will most likely refer their friends. As a result, using sponsorship will only bring new customers if existing customers are willing to share it with their friends and family. If you want to improve sponsorship effectiveness, use it in combination with a good customer service.
In WooRewards, your customers have 3 different ways to sponsor new customers :
- Send an email to their friends
- Share a referral link
- Share your website’s content on social media
While the first method is widely used, the other ones are not. Customers mostly use referral links as a one time action. However, in WooRewards, they can use referral links to establish a permanent relation between them and the persons they refer.
2 – Sponsorship & Referrals Settings
Before using sponsorship in your loyalty program, you need to set up a few elements. To that end, go to your WooRewards administration and go to Features → Sponsorship/Referral.
There, you have to set up a few options before moving forward :
- Enable Sponsorship : If disabled, customers won’t be able to earn points when sponsoring new people.
- Allow sponsorship via referral link : Enable it to let customers sponsor new people with referral links. If this is disabled, customers can still earn points when referring people, but it won’t establish a permanent connection between them and the referred.
- Allow sponsorship via social share : Enable it to let customers sponsor new people with social shares. If this is disabled, customers can still earn points when people click on the share, but it won’t establish a permanent connection between them and the referred.
- Max sponsorships per customer : The maximum amount people that can be sponsored by one person.
3 – Reward the Sponsor
In WooRewards, there are different ways for a sponsor to earn points and get rewards. However, all these methods require to create or edit a points and rewards system. If you don’t know how to create a points and rewards system, please refer to this documentation : Points and Rewards Systems.
Inside your points and rewards system, you need to add some methods to earn points for the sponsors. The available methods are the following :
- Sponsored user registration : Earn points when a sponsored user registers
- Sponsored places an order : Earn points when a sponsored user places an order. This can be limited to the first sponsored order or not.
- Sponsored spends money : Earn points when a sponsored spends money on the website. The number of points will depend on the amount spent by the sponsored. This can be limited to the first sponsored order or not.
Then, it’s up to you to set a reward sponsors can get with their points.
4 – Reward the Sponsored
Rewarding the sponsored is a little bit different than rewarding the sponsor. Firstly, there’s a way to reward the sponsored without him even visiting your website. This method only works with email sponsorships and will be explained below.
In the meantime, the main way to reward the sponsored is very similar to how you can reward the sponsor. You have to create or edit a points and rewards system. Inside the system, use one of the following methods to earn points :
- User registration : The sponsored earns points when creating an account on the website
- Spend Money : The sponsored earns points when spending money on the website
- Place an order : The sponsored earns points when placing an order on the website
- Buy a product : The sponsored earns points when buying specific products
- Buy in category : The sponsored earns points when buying products from specific categories
The email sponsorship reward
If you use the email sponsorship, you can generate a reward coupon directly when a sponsor sends the email to the sponsored. The sponsored will receive a coupon code that he’ll be able to use right away, without needing to register.
To setup the email reward, go to WooRewards → Features → Sponsorship/Referral → Sponsored Reward.
Set up the reward you want. It will automatically be sent to sponsored when a sponsor sends them an invitation email.
5 – Email, Widgets and Shortcodes
In order to let customers sponsor other people, you need to set up widgets and/or shortcodes on your website.
Here are the links to the different widgets you can use :
If you prefer to use shortcodes, you will find them here :
Finally, if you use the email sponsorship, here’s the link to the documentation to setup the email :